Latest topics

» Warpizzle's admin application
Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:10 pm by Shisno

» guiz can i be an ota assassin pls
Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:13 pm by Milkdairy

» DRP Reopening
Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:59 pm by Milkdairy

» Me have computer problems long time
Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 pm by τΐgσ

» im out /10 character titles -.-
Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:59 pm by Milkdairy

» Server Reboot to-do-list
Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 pm by Neko

» Kasumi Misaki
Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36 am by Kitsune

» hay tailer
Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:20 am by Kitsune

» Your favorite Unit.
Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:29 am by Warpizzle

Navigation


    Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Share

    Poll

    VOTE DAMN YOU!

    [ 5 ]
    63% [63%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    37% [37%] 

    Total Votes: 8
    avatar
    Shisno

    Posts : 265
    Join date : 2011-06-20
    Location : Your Hard Drive.

    Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  Shisno on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:26 pm

    Alright, since it's apparently a hot position, and SOOO many people want it, I'm putting this up for a vote.

    All parties will have the chance to present their views and plans on how to run the antagonistic faction.


    Last edited by Shisno on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:02 am; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    τΐgσ
    Senior Development Manager/Donator
    Senior Development Manager/Donator

    Posts : 403
    Join date : 2011-08-09
    Location : That one box behind your local Wal-Mart

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  τΐgσ on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

    Well, guess I should post some stuff.

    I plan on the OTA having a more active, constant presence in the Outlands, being less of a distant threat rarely realized and more of a very real danger that can spell disaster for refugees if they make too many mistakes. This would generally include Combine patrols and scanners (Although not so many to make normal RP impossible), established bases within the RP world, and regular maintenance of the Outlands as the Combine see fit.

    We will, however, see more of a hierarchy, including leaders of certain subsections and an overall commander. Obviously, this would mean more of an opportunity for the refugees to exploit weaknesses in the Combine(E.G. Killing a leader and having order and morale suffer), if they feel up to it, rather than have the past system of 'OTA are OTA, Just Kill Them' where rebels and refugees simply fought against however many OTA were sent after them.

    Finally, OTA will be more sentient in and out of combat. They WILL continue to obey orders without question. Rather than be mindless and throw their lives away without fear, they will develop their own combat styles and preferences, be able to improvise in a situation which requires it, rather than follow policies on what to do in what situation (E.G. Self-extermination upon capture), and will ultimately be allowed to develop personalities to an extent. (Think of the Japanese during WWII; Highly devoted, and brainwashed to the point of believing the enemy to be inhuman monsters. Similar to that.)

    Well, I suppose that's all from me, feel free to ask me any questions if you have any about my ideas. Hope you guys will vote for whoever you feel is right for the job.
    avatar
    Kitsune

    Posts : 135
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Age : 21

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  Kitsune on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:49 pm

    τΐgσ wrote:Well, guess I should post some stuff.

    I plan on the OTA having a more active, constant presence in the Outlands, being less of a distant threat rarely realized and more of a very real danger that can spell disaster for refugees if they make too many mistakes. This would generally include Combine patrols and scanners (Although not so many to make normal RP impossible), established bases within the RP world, and regular maintenance of the Outlands as the Combine see fit.

    We will, however, see more of a hierarchy, including leaders of certain subsections and an overall commander. Obviously, this would mean more of an opportunity for the refugees to exploit weaknesses in the Combine(E.G. Killing a leader and having order and morale suffer), if they feel up to it, rather than have the past system of 'OTA are OTA, Just Kill Them' where rebels and refugees simply fought against however many OTA were sent after them.

    Finally, OTA will be more sentient in and out of combat. They WILL continue to obey orders without question. Rather than be mindless and throw their lives away without fear, they will develop their own combat styles and preferences, be able to improvise in a situation which requires it, rather than follow policies on what to do in what situation (E.G. Self-extermination upon capture), and will ultimately be allowed to develop personalities to an extent. (Think of the Japanese during WWII; Highly devoted, and brainwashed to the point of believing the enemy to be inhuman monsters. Similar to that.)

    Well, I suppose that's all from me, feel free to ask me any questions if you have any about my ideas. Hope you guys will vote for whoever you feel is right for the job.

    Having leaders and such is just a moronic idea. The OTA are made to simply be mindless drones that run out as the bulk to fight off rebels. They shouldn't have any humanity AT ALL. They SHOULD be 'inhuman monsters'. Also, Scanners and Patrols is retarded... the OTA are located out of the outlands area, and they basically lightly monitor the area. (Any explosions, etc, will cause them to go on alert. Mortars and such, will cause a heavy sweep. Stuff like that.)

    The assassins are rare, but they are smarter than OTA And they're like you listed, own combat preferences and such. They're not as brainfucked as regular OTA to allow them to carry out their missions easier, but their brainwashing is just inches under OTA brainwashing.

    My basic idea for the OTA is that it should be like it was before, with some changes. First off, minor sweeps (Usually from a explosion that was larger than a grenade), will result in a OTA Assassin being sent in, equipped with two USP-M's, and one OTA grade tanto, also with cloaking. They don't kill, they simply observe. If they see multiple armed rebels, a sweep is sent in. Usually a small OTA squad and one gunship.

    Now, if Mortars are detected (Large threat), two gunships, one dropship, and two OTA squads are sent in to handle it. One squad has a single EOWA in it.

    Best tactic to avoid the OTA? Avoid them. Hiiiide~. If all of them were killed, they'd send more ota to sweep. It's best to just hide from them rather than fight them. Biosignals are a bitch.

    EDIT: As for what I said about scanners and patrol... Scanners can be reprogrammed by rogues / destroyed easily and their parts taken, Patrols can be killed and that gives the rebels DAMN good gear.
    avatar
    τΐgσ
    Senior Development Manager/Donator
    Senior Development Manager/Donator

    Posts : 403
    Join date : 2011-08-09
    Location : That one box behind your local Wal-Mart

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  τΐgσ on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm

    Amethyst™ wrote:Having leaders and such is just a moronic idea. The OTA are made to simply be mindless drones that run out as the bulk to fight off rebels. They shouldn't have any humanity AT ALL. They SHOULD be 'inhuman monsters'. Also, Scanners and Patrols is retarded... the OTA are located out of the outlands area, and they basically lightly monitor the area. (Any explosions, etc, will cause them to go on alert. Mortars and such, will cause a heavy sweep. Stuff like that.)

    That's your opinion.

    Despite how easily they may be produced, soldiers are still resources, and soldiers who can think on their feet and learn from experience will be far more useful in the long run than pre-programmed drones, in my opinion. As for leaders, these are simply those with more experience then others, and who can use that experience to make smarter moves with better efficiency. As for being inhuman monsters, there's nothing stating they aren't cruel and deadly. They would be brainwashed to the point of reverse-morality, seeing the humans as they see them, and would gladly end as many of them as possible. Still, soldiers of any race, religion, and I think could be presumed, species, would develop experience and personality. (Again, to an extent)

    As for patrols, as I said, they wouldn't be present far enough to hinder RP greatly, but patrols would logically make sense. The Combine would certainly know that refugees exist, and would take steps to ensure that they remain only that: refugees. Although they can detect hostilities if they detect anomalies, searches would ensure that the max amount of refugees are killed.
    avatar
    Kitsune

    Posts : 135
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Age : 21

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  Kitsune on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:10 pm

    Yes, but what about when Patrols are killed? Boom, Rebels get OTA grade gear right off the bat, or hell, maybe even a rogue if there's vortigaunts around.

    Also, a pre-programmed drone is much more preferable than a soldier. I just... laughed... when you said you're giving the OTA personality, even to an extent. Personality can envelop a tiny amount of fear. So we're going to have OTA Actually running from battle? No, they're supposed to be drones that run forward with no emotions, only trying to kill whatever they're told too, nothing more, nothing less.
    avatar
    τΐgσ
    Senior Development Manager/Donator
    Senior Development Manager/Donator

    Posts : 403
    Join date : 2011-08-09
    Location : That one box behind your local Wal-Mart

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  τΐgσ on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 pm

    Amethyst™ wrote:Yes, but what about when Patrols are killed? Boom, Rebels get OTA grade gear right off the bat, or hell, maybe even a rogue if there's vortigaunts around.

    Also, a pre-programmed drone is much more preferable than a soldier. I just... laughed... when you said you're giving the OTA personality, even to an extent. Personality can envelop a tiny amount of fear. So we're going to have OTA Actually running from battle? No, they're supposed to be drones that run forward with no emotions, only trying to kill whatever they're told too, nothing more, nothing less.

    This is, again, where I bring up the Japanese from WWII as a comparison.

    Would they kill themselves to accomplish a goal, and rush forward into the battle without fear? Of course, but only when ordered, and/or when it was the most logical or devastating move. If a soldier is to be captured and held, who has no knowledge of anything important and is aware of such, should he kill himself immediately, or wait for an opportunity to do more damage, whether or not that damage gets him killed? This is the type of thinking I would be encouraging.

    I hope you haven't misunderstood me; the OTA I envision are relentless and willing to do whatever they deem necessary to get the job done. But they do it in a way that uses reason and flexibility, otherwise anyone with a mild understanding of OTA tactics would have a huge advantage.

    EDIT: As for weapons and armor, I plan to base off of the ID-lock idea, and take in some of the ideas suggested on the forums to incorporate with it.


    Last edited by τΐgσ on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Kitsune

    Posts : 135
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Age : 21

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  Kitsune on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:26 pm

    τΐgσ wrote:
    Amethyst™ wrote:Yes, but what about when Patrols are killed? Boom, Rebels get OTA grade gear right off the bat, or hell, maybe even a rogue if there's vortigaunts around.

    Also, a pre-programmed drone is much more preferable than a soldier. I just... laughed... when you said you're giving the OTA personality, even to an extent. Personality can envelop a tiny amount of fear. So we're going to have OTA Actually running from battle? No, they're supposed to be drones that run forward with no emotions, only trying to kill whatever they're told too, nothing more, nothing less.

    This is, again, where I bring up the Japanese from WWII as a comparison.

    Would they kill themselves to accomplish a goal, and rush forward into the battle without fear? Of course, but only when ordered, and/or when it was the most logical or devastating move. If a soldier is to be captured and held, who has no knowledge of anything important and is aware of such, should he kill himself immediately, or wait for an opportunity to do more damage, whether or not that damage gets him killed? This is the type of thinking I would be encouraging.

    I hope you haven't misunderstood me; the OTA I envision are relentless and willing to do whatever they deem necessary to get the job done. But they do it in a way that uses reason and flexibility, otherwise anyone with a mild understanding of OTA tactics would have a huge advantage.

    Uh, all OTA, due to them just being OTA, have some knowledge that rebels do not, therefore all of them have knowledge to be shared. With even a tinge of personality, they could fear death, therefore making them not kill themselves. They should simply be mindless drones. Also, if they had any personality, they wouldn't be as feared. What do you fear me, the man with weaponry and armor, with little remorse for humans, or the mindless drone designed to simply kill you at any turn it gets?
    avatar
    τΐgσ
    Senior Development Manager/Donator
    Senior Development Manager/Donator

    Posts : 403
    Join date : 2011-08-09
    Location : That one box behind your local Wal-Mart

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  τΐgσ on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:34 pm

    Amethyst™ wrote:Uh, all OTA, due to them just being OTA, have some knowledge that rebels do not, therefore all of them have knowledge to be shared. With even a tinge of personality, they could fear death, therefore making them not kill themselves. They should simply be mindless drones. Also, if they had any personality, they wouldn't be as feared. What do you fear me, the man with weaponry and armor, with little remorse for humans, or the mindless drone designed to simply kill you at any turn it gets?

    Both are to be feared, but the one with sentient thought should be more feared, and rightly so.

    Also, I still don't believe you understand me: These soldiers would be trained to simply not fear. People in the Medieval Ages would sacrifice themselves and endure massive pain for their beliefs and their religion, because they believed so strongly it would all be worth it. Who is to say the OTA could not be the same?

    The OTA don't take just anyone; they take the ones who they believe are the strongest, and can do things the best. Sentient thought merely makes them more of a threat as times goes on, rather than the alternative of thoughtless drones, who could be adapted to. Never enough thought to compromise their abilities, but enough to be individual soldiers, not robots. This would also make OTA RP, especially passiveRP on an OTA, more enjoyable as well.
    avatar
    Kitsune

    Posts : 135
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Age : 21

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  Kitsune on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:55 pm

    You simply CAN NOT train people to never fear. It's not possible, there is ALWAYS fear.

    And there is ALWAYS that one person, always one, that can't contain him/herself.
    avatar
    τΐgσ
    Senior Development Manager/Donator
    Senior Development Manager/Donator

    Posts : 403
    Join date : 2011-08-09
    Location : That one box behind your local Wal-Mart

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  τΐgσ on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:22 pm

    Amethyst™ wrote:You simply CAN NOT train people to never fear. It's not possible, there is ALWAYS fear.

    And there is ALWAYS that one person, always one, that can't contain him/herself.

    Again, like the Japanese army, they would be trained to fully ignore it. Of course there'd be fear, but good soldiers overcome their fear and do what they need to. And hell, the OTA are the best of the best of the Combine. If there were people whom the Combine thought would retreat out of fear, they would be dismissed.
    avatar
    Milkdairy
    Development Manager
    Development Manager

    Posts : 384
    Join date : 2011-06-26
    Location : Staring at my computer, My Chair, My Room, My house, Los Angeles, California, United States, Northern America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  Milkdairy on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:25 pm

    Speaking of which, your argument is pretty invalid, in the misguided aspect of that you need to be a logistically rubbish robot that in all reality can be much easier laughed at and mocked rather than a being that is truly remorseless, surgical, and deadly, unlike your vision of the OTA.

    I however do not agree with Tigo's visions either. This is where Amethyst's point shines true in the fact that their utter free inhibition and extensive sentience would lead them to be far more susceptible to morale waver and defection.

    However, as I said before, they cannot be emotionless and must be able to rely upon themselves in the case of a situation not within the parameters of the Combine's very routine and precise schedule/quota.

    If all emotions are removed, only Logical thought is left, which makes them more like circuit-by-circuit Computers, however Computers can't create rules, they can only follow rules set by their creators.

    In these parameters a limit to what OTA Units will find "Logical" is established, and a paradox is reached, rendering the unit unable to act on the situation. However, by factoring in pathological thought, a Unit will have the capability to improvise and use its initiative to finish the mission effectively.

    if a soldier must be watched at all times, then the units are rendered ineffectively, and can easily be outsmarted and bypassed, much like a computer.

    This simply cannot be fixed without adding the human aspect, for with every patch comes another bug, figuratively speaking.

    I believe in a more self-sufficient, but equally deadly and accurate in its actions, unwavering in loyalty and unquestioning of its orders type of OTA.

    Instead of having lots of Sub-leaders which get in the way and have the potential to defect for their own agendas, most control is averted to a single commander which controls the whole force. For leaders on a smaller scale, units can be dynamically designated, and are all qualified to lead a squad.

    Elites are not universal in their ranking, and are simply far more sophisticated, augmented, and qualified to lead an OTA squad than for say, a designated leader.

    This is what I think the OTA should be like, and why you should vote for me.

    albino


    Last edited by Milkdairy on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    Red hair <3
    avatar
    Kitsune

    Posts : 135
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Age : 21

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  Kitsune on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:29 pm

    I'm actually just going to worry about my own community instead of DRP at this point.

    I'm tired of being hated- Oh, sorry, Shisno... 'MISTRUSTED' by the community, and this making everyone bias.

    So yeah, I'll keep my money. Milk, I hope you weren't lieing about being able to fund the server. I may donate some time in the future.

    Good day.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Overwatch Faction Leader Voting Thread

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:48 pm